IAIA as an Org promotes the following:
- We compile or review impact assessments with integrity and honesty, and free from misrepresentation or deliberate bias.
- Our personal beliefs should not interfere with fair representation of the potential impacts of policies, plans, programs, and projects.
- We uphold the principle of freedom of access to information and the right of citizens to participate in decisions.
- We subscribe to a holistic approach to impact assessment.
- We seek sustainable and equitable outcomes from human actions that affect ecosystem and social functions.
- We will seek to encourage a process of impact assessment that averts infringement of the human rights of any section of society.
- We do not condone the use of violence, harassment, intimidation or undue force in connection with any aspect of impact assessment or implementation of an intervention arising from impact assessment.
- We conduct impact assessments in the awareness that different groups in society experience beneﬁts and harm in different ways. We seek to take gender and other social differences into account, and we are especially mindful of the concerns of indigenous peoples.
- We strive to promote considerations of equity as a fundamental element of impact assessment.
- We give due regard to the rights and interests of future generations.
- We strive for excellence by maintaining and enhancing our own knowledge and skills, by encouraging the professional development of co-workers, and by fostering the aspirations of potential members of the profession.
- We do not advance our private interests to the detriment of the public, our clients or employing institutions.
IAIA is committed to ethical and professional practice in all its operations. The statements in this document represent the foundational philosophy that underpins all IAIA activities and should inform the practice of its members. IAIA encourages the professional development of its members and environmental professionals and industry generally by providing a range of documents on best practice in impact assessment and related topics. These can be accessed Online at www.iaia.org > Publications.
Note that some documents have been translated into other languages.